Hammonds Retain Northern Open Championship
The members of the Hammonds Saltaire Band celebrating after winning the St. Helens Northern Open Championship for the second time in two years. After a very long day the band were over the moon that our performance of Between the Moon and Mexico (by Philip Sparke) caught the adjudicators ear.
As well as winning the overall first prize the band are delighted that Matthew Allsop was awarded the prize for the best solo euphonium. Online band magazine 4barsrest.com described the bands performance as “warm and full of poetry” and commented
In the A Section Longridge giving a nicely judged performance of expressive feeling and taken together with a Beaumaris performance of flair and a 'dancing' sparkle the Hammonds win was all the more impressive.
The full results for Section A were:
- Hammonds Saltaire – Morgan Griffiths 191pts
- Longridge – Mark Peacock 189pts
- Beaumaris – Gwyn Williams 188pts
- Drighlington – Jim Davies 187pts
- Kippax – David Lancaster 186pts
- Hade Edge – Simon Wood 183pts
- Hebden Bridge – Roy Cuuran 181pts
- Blackpool Brass – Roy Waite 179pts